[MFS note: see
additional items at page bottom.]
H. R. 3470*
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Mr. Vento introduced the following bill; which
was referred to the Committee
To enhance the conservation and protection of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area
Wilderness and the Voyageurs National Park.
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE
This Act may be cited as the "Minnesota National
Treasures Conservation and Protection Act"
Sec. 2. FINDINGS.
The Congress finds that—
(1) Voyageurs National
Park and the Boundary
Waters Canoe Area Wilderness are special natural
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representa-
- tives of the United
Waters Canoe Area Wilderness are international, na-
tional and Minnesota treasures worthy of national
preservation and protection as a national park and
a wilderness area;
(3) Congress has expressed overwhelming sup-
port for the protection of these resources through
their designation as a national park and wilderness
area and by providing sustained funding to imple-
ment these landmark laws;
(4)public acceptance and enthusiasm for the
Boundary Waters Canoe area Wilderness has estab-
lished the area as the most widely used wilderness
unit in the entire national wilderness preservation
(5) it is necessary and desirable to further pro-
vide for the orderly administration and management
of public use and enjoyment of these national areas,
while at the same time protecting the special quali-
ties of the areas as a natural forest-lakeland wilder-
ness ecosystem of major esthetic, cultural, scientific,
recreational and educational value to the Nation.
- resources that offer a unique lakeland experience for
- the enjoyment and inspiration of present and future
- (2) Voyageurs National Park and the Boundary
- TITLE I —THE BOUNDARY WA-
- TERS CANOE AREA WILDER-
- NESS PRESERVATION
- SEC. 101. BOUNDARY WATERS CANOE AREA WILDERNESS
- DESIGNATION AND MAP.
- Section 3 of Public Law 94-495 (16 U.S.C. 1132
- note) is amended as follows—
- (1) by amending the first sentence to read as
- follows: "The areas generally depicted as wilderness
- on the map entitled 'Boundary Waters Canoe Area
- Wilderness' and dated 1996, comprising approxi-
- mately 1,101,000 acres, are hereby designated as
- the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (here-
- inafter referred to as the 'Wilderness').";
- (2) by striking "one year after the date of en-
- actment of this Act" and insert "one year after the
- enactment of the Minnesota National Treasures
- Conservation and Protection Act"; and
- (3) by amending the third sentence to read as
- follows: "Such map and description shall be filed
- with the Committee on Resources of the House of
- Representatives and the Committee on Energy and
- Natural Resources of the United States Senate."
- SEC. 102. AMENDMENTS TO SECTION 4 OF PUBLIC LAW 95-
- Section 4 of Public Law 95-495 is amended as fol-
- (1) In subsection (G)(1), by striking "Basswood,
- except that portion generally north of the narrows at
- the north end of Jackfish Bay and north of a point
- on the international boundary between Ottawa Is-
- land and Washington Island" and inserting in lieu
- thereof: "Pipestone Bay of Basswood and that por-
- tion of Jackfish Bay of Basswood generally south of
- the narrows at the north end of Jackfish Bay;".
- (2) In the subsection (d), by striking "Loon Lake,
- Saint Louis County, that portion of the Lac La
- Croix, Saint Louis County, south of Snow Bay and
- East of Wilkins Bay.".
- SEC. 103. AIRSPACE RESERVATION.
- The provisions of Executive Order 10092 shall be ap-
- plicable to the areas depicted on the map referred to in
- section 101 of this Act.
- TITLE II— THE VOYAGEURS NA-
- TIONAL PARK PRESERVATION
- SEC: 201. DESIGNATION OF WILDERNESS AREA.
- In furtherance of the purposes of the Wilderness Act
- (1 6 U.S.C. 1131 et seq.),
land and waters of the
- Kabetogama Peninsula within Voyageurs National Park
- in the State of Minnesota, which comprise approximately
- 74,114 acres, as generally depicted on
a map entitled
- "Voyageurs National Park Wilderness",
- ___________and dated ____________ are hereby
- as wilderness and shall be known as the
- tional Park Wilderness".
- SEC, 202. MAP AND LEGAL DESCRIPTION.
- As soon as practicable after enactment of
- a map and legal description of the wilderness
- ignated in section 201 shall be filed by the Secretary of
- the Interior with the Committee on Resources of the
- ed States House of Representatives and the Committee
- on Energy and Natural Resources of the United States
- Senate. Such map and legal description shall have the
- same force and effect as if included in this Act, except
- that correction of clerical and typographical errors in such
- map and legal description may be made. Such map and
- legal description shall be on file and available for
- inspection in the office of the Director of the National
- Park Service, Department of the Interior,
and in the office
- of the Superintendent of Voyageurs National Park.
- SEC. 203. ADMINISTRATION.
- Subject to valid existing rights, the area designated
- as wilderness by section 201
shall be administered by the
- Secretary of the Interior in accordance with the applicable
- Provisions of the Wilderness Act governing areas
- ignated. The Secretary shall continue
to Provide for the
- use of existing safety portages, for snowmobiles, as de-
- picted on the map referred to in
* Original Draft