Minnesotans For Sustainability©


Sustainable:  A society that balances the environment, other life forms, and human interactions over an indefinite time period.




[MFS note: The toll-free national Department of Homeland Security hotline number to report illegal alien and related suspicious activity is 1-866-DHS-2ICE (1-866-347-2423). The U.S. Border Control can be reached at 1-877-USBP-HELP (1-877-8727-4357. The name of the INS replacement is the Federal Bureau of Immigration Customs Enforcement (FBICE)]


Contacting Authorities

How To Report Illegal Aliens*


Juan Mann
November 23, 2002


With all this hoopla about homeland security1, why isn’t there a "Terrorism Information and Prevention System"2 that Americans can really use? Why not start reporting illegal aliens and criminal alien residents?

Illegal aliens are technically subject to deportation at any time. Their very presence violates federal law3. Lawful permanent resident aliens–that is, anyone with a "green card"—can become deportable if they are convicted of certain crimes. These criminal alien residents can lose their permanent resident status and be deported right along with the illegal aliens and non-immigrant visa overstayers4 —if the proper authorities knew about them.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service5 is the proper authority to whom to report the presence of 1) illegal aliens, 2) non-immigrant visa violators and 3) green card holders who have been convicted of crimes.

Contact your local INS office and ask for the Investigations Division or the "Enforcement Office." If you cannot speak with an INS Special Agent from the Investigations Division, ask to speak to a Deportation Officer from the Detention and Removal unit. Make a report over the phone or go in person. Officers in the Investigations Division are obligated by law to make a written record of your report.

If you live in a border area –—roughly, within 50 miles of the border— you also have the option of contacting the nearest U.S. Border Patrol field office6 to report the presence of illegal aliens. You can call or go in person. If there is no Border Patrol7 station listed nearby, contact the nearest Border Patrol Sector Office to find out if there is a local sub-station that is not listed on the web site. The group U.S. Border Control8 also lists additional contact numbers.

Illegal aliens and criminal alien residents might be up to some type of fraud9 against the Social Security system too, since false documents10 are a way of life11. The Office of Inspector General of the Social Security Administration12 operates a fraud hotline for reporting misuse of social security cards and false statements on claims –whether by employers or employees. Prosecuting Social Security fraud has been used successfully13 to tie-up terrorist suspects, even if they are not illegal aliens. Report criminal violators to the FBI14 for prosecution by the U.S. Attorney.15

Though it has been accused of giving cover to illegal aliens16 through tax ID numbers, the Internal Revenue Service17 also accepts citizen reports on general tax fraud including "earned income tax credit" abuse. The IRS’ criminal investigation division18 handles employment tax fraud reports.

The Department of Health and Human Services19 maintains a hotline for reporting Medicare or Medicaid20 fraud, child non-support, AFDC fraud, and abuse of related programs.21

Also, believe it or not, all male illegal aliens (as well as male permanent resident aliens, ages 18 through 25) must register with the Selective Service System.22 If they do not register, they can be prosecuted for a felony and fined up to $250,000 and/or be put in jail for up to five years. They also may not then be eligible for U.S. citizenship.23 And there are state penalties24 for failing to register. Selective Service registration is conveniently available in Spanish25. Report draft registration violators to the FBI26 for prosecution by the U.S. Attorney.27

What will the INS actually do when you call?

It will take the information down, as it is legally obligated to do....and probably not much else. It may get interested in a criminal alien, an alien that’s the subject of some other type of investigation - for example an Arab terrorist, an alien smuggler - or an alien who has been deported before. Non-criminal aliens might be sent a letter by the INS Deportation section, saying, in effect "Dear Mr. Alien, you have been already ordered removed by an immigration judge, or we know you have overstayed your status, please come in to the INS office to be deported, bring one bag." (These are known as "run letters," for obvious reasons.) But even this doesn’t always happen.

Your report will be on record. The government will know about it –and will know we (VDARE) know it knows about it. The Chinese say a journey of a thousand miles must start with one step. Americans can start regaining control of their borders —and of their nation’s destiny— with one phone call.

* References & Sources of Contact

1. "Homeland Security or Tyranny at home?", Sam Francis. VDARE.com. See at < http://www.vdare.com/francis/homeland.htm >.

2. "Dubya To America: Immigration Sí, Constitution No!, Sam Francis. VDARE.com. See at < http://www.vdare.com/francis/cable.htm >.

3. "INA: ACT 237 - GENERAL CLASSES OF DEPORTABLE ALIENS", 1/ [8 U.S.C. 1227]. See INS at < http://www.ins.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-20/slb-4685?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-act237 >.

4. "How Have Terrorists Entered the U.S.?" Steven A. Camarota. Center For Immigration Studies. Panel Discussion Transcript. See at < http://www.cis.org/articles/2002/terrorpr.html >.

5. INS National Customer Service Center Phone: 1-800-375-5283.
INS Field Office Locations < http://www.ins.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/statemap.htm >.
Minnesota Offices (for MN, ND and SD) see at < http://www.ins.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/stpaul/aboutus.htm >.
District Director: Curtis J. Aljets; Deputy Director: John Klow
Phone: 612-313-9001
; 612-313-9040
Investigations: 612-313-9040
Student Visas: 612-727-3415

INS St. Paul District Office
2901 Metro Drive, Suite 100
Bloomington, MN 55425
(Located in Bloomington, MN, across from the Mall of America.)

 INS Border Control Field Offices by state: < http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/Sectors/BPStates/BPAlphaa.htm >.

Minnesota Sector: < http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/sectors/grandfork/aboutus.htm >.
Service Area: North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri
Chief Patrol Agent: Glen W. Schroeder
Deputy Chief Patrol Agent: Scott J. Baker

Grand Forks Sector Headquarters:
Mailing Address:
U.S. Border Patrol
2320 South Washington Street
Grand Forks, ND 58201
Phone Number: 701-775-6259

6. "INS Stomping On D.C. Sniper Whistleblowers", Michelle Malkin. See at < http://www.vdare.com/malkin/ins_stomping.htm >.

7. US Border Control telephone numbers by geographic region with addresses for investigative offices: < http://www.usbc.org/info/crime/numbers.htm >.

8. "A Reader Comments on H1B and Tax Evasion...", February 21, 2001. See at < http://www.vdare.com/letters/tl_022101.htm >.

9. "End sanctuary for illegal immigrants", Michelle Malkin. Jewish World Review, Sept. 13, 2002 / 7 Tishrei, 5763. See at < http://www.jewishworldreview.com/michelle/malkin091302.asp >.

10. "View From Lodi, CA: How Miguel Got His Papers", Joe Guzzardi, February 15, 2002. See at < http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/ids.htm >.

11. Office of the Social Security Inspector General.
Telephone: 1-800-269-0271
Fax: 410-597-0118
Email: <oig.hotline@ssa.gov>

SSA Fraud Hotline
P.O. BOX 17768
Baltimore, MD 21235

See more at < http://www.ssa.gov/oig/hotline/index.htm >.

12. "Use Of The Social Security Fraud Statute In The Battle Against Terrorism" (42 U.S.C. § 408(a)(7)(A)-(C)), John K. Webb, Special Assistant US Attorney, Central District of California and District of Arizona. American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM, "Immigration Daily". See at < http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/colum_article/articles/2002,1105-webb.shtm >.

13. FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Telephone: 202-324-3000
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001

Field Office Enforcement by state: < http://www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm >.
Minnesota FBI Office:
FBI Minneapolis, Suite 1100
111 Washington Avenue, South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401-2176
Email: <minneapolis.fbi.gov>.
(612) 376-3200

14. U.S. Attorneys General Office by state < http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/offices/index.html >.
Minnesota U.S. Attorney General:
Thomas B. Heffelfinger, Esq.
600 U. S. Courthouse
300 South Fourth Street
Minneapolis 55415
Phone: (612) 664-5600
Fax: (612)664-5787 266

U. S. Courthouse, 316 North Robert Street, St. Paul 55101
Phone: (651)290-4401
Fax: (651)848-1943

15. "Giving Cover to Illegal Aliens: IRS Tax ID Numbers Subvert Immigration Law", Marti Dinerstein. Center for Immigration Studies, October 2002. See at < http://www.cis.org/articles/2002/back1202.html >.

16. IRS Criminal Investigation Department Tax Fraud Program. Report by phone: 1-800-829-0433. See related law and program details at < http://www.ustreas.gov/irs/ci/tax_fraud/docgeneraltaxfraud.htm >.

17. IRS Criminal Investigation Department Employment Tax Enforcement Program. For employer and employee rules see at < http://www.ustreas.gov/irs/ci/tax_fraud/docemploymenttax.htm >.

18. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General.
Phone: 1-800-HHS-TIPS (1-800-447-8477)
Fax: 1-800-223-8164
Email: <hhstips@oig.hh.gov>.

Office of Inspector General
Department of Health and Human Services
Attn: Hotline
330 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20201

19. "Emergency Rooms are in Poor Health, Physicians Warn", "A Reader comments on Emergency Room Health", VDARE. January 22, 2001. See at < http://www.vdare.com/letters/tl_012201.htm >.

20. "Whatever Happened To Deporting Immigrants As a Public Charge?", James R. Edwards, Jr., Adjunct Fellow, Hudson Institute, VDARE. May 18, 2001. See abbreviated essay at < http://www.vdare.com/misc/edwards_public_charge.htm > and full study at < http://www.cis.org/articles/2001/back701.html >.

22. Selective Service System. "Who Must Register? - Chart." See at < http://www.sss.gov/must.htm >.

23. "How Do I Register with Selective Service?," See at < http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/HowDoI/selsvc.html >.

24. State requirements are found at State/Commonwealth Legislation, "Fast Facts". See at < http://www.sss.gov/fsstateleg.htm >.

25. SSS in Spanish: < http://www.sss.gov/spanishpage.htm >.

26. See #14 above. FBI: See at < http://www.fbi.gov/contactus.htm >.

27. See # 15 above. U.S. Attorneys General Office by state < http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/offices/index.html >.
* Adapted from and used with permission of VDARE.com.
Please see original at < VDARE.COM - http://www.vdare.com/mann/reporting_aliens.htm >.


Please send mail to webmaster@mnforsustain.org with questions or comments about this web site. Minnesotans For Sustainability (MFS) is not affiliated with any government body, private, or corporate entity. Copyright © 2002 Minnesotans For Sustainability